A director identification number (DID) is a unique identifier that a director applies for once and keeps forever. The same DIN will be used for all current and future directorships of a registered company.
If you do not already have one you’ll need a director ID if you are a director of:
- a company (Private or Public)
- a registered foreign company
- a registered Australian body, or
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation.
If you’re a sole trader trading in your name or a registered business name you won’t need a director ID.
You can apply for your director ID at Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS).
- Directors appointed from 1 November 2021 must apply within 28 days.
- Directors appointed on or before 31 October 2021 have until 30 November 2022 to apply.
- From 5 April 2022, intending directors must apply before being appointed.
Director IDs will help the regulators create a more transparent and fair business environment for registered Australian companies and for all new company registrations. It will help improve data integrity by clearly identifying directors and cross directorships.
We in our capacity as ASIC agents or tax agents can not apply for your director ID. You yourself need to verify your identity using your MyGov ID. We can assist you with the appointment of a new director, removal of a director, change of address for directors or shareholders using link
If you can’t get a myGovID, the best way to apply will depend on your situation. More information is available on the ABRS website. Apply for your Director Identification Number (DIN) with Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) using link https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number/apply-director-identification-number.